Saturday, October 7

The house has been crumbling with loneliness


while the Man and I have been away these last two years. I've been trying to attend to some of the issues and earlier this year I turned my attention to our very sad laundry room. I asked a builder to take away the remaining tilework, remove the radiator, take up the tiles, lay a concrete floor and set up a new worktop and shelving. There was the usual game - he said he'd come in April, finally making an appearance  in June - perfectly timed for me to progress from being fed up to sheer gratitude that he arrived at all. His work was mostly great - except for the bit about the floor. I'd asked for polished concrete but builder-man hastily dumped some screed (not quite enough) and left it looking like lumpy cookie dough. I arrived home before the floor was dry and spent several hours scraping down the lumps, I've painted it with a bold design in the hope that the uneven surface is disguised. The room was dark and dingy with a single tiny window but my cunningly placed mirrors have amplified the light - and do you like my jolly appliance-hiding curtains?

13 comments:

  1. What is it about builders? You say polished concrete and the builder does lumpy porridge.
    Still, the painted pattern looks good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how the two textures can be confused isn't it - and thank you xx

      Delete
  2. YOU PAINTED THAT FLOOR???? sweet mary sunshine, sugar, but i thought you'd had encaustic cement tiles installed!! well done you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about all the aggravation; a very nice result though. The mirror, painted(!) floor, and curtains certainly spiffied up the place. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and there's nothing better for the soul than a spot of spiffery xxx

      Delete
  4. Echoing Sav here – you painted that floor?!!!! Looks marvellous, X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do indeed like the curtain. Do you think there is a curtain large enough to throw over my entire kitchen??
    Also, love the floor!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would turn your kitchen into a large birdcage - I could arrange that - and thank you xxxx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails