Saturday, February 4

In my search for a good Local

I was directed to a bar along the waterfront and across the park. It was almost empty, a blazing fire blazed in the middle of one wall, two young men were behind the bar trying to work the till. The bar room contained a dozen assorted wooden kitchen-type tables and chairs, the only other customers were two women and their gentleman friend.

I finally got a pint and took it to a seat at one of the large tables, shortly afterwards the other party got up and assembled themselves in coats and scarves. During this disruption they asked me if I lived nearby, we had a short exchange and they left.

Five minutes later one of the women ran back in and asked if she could join me. We entertained each other for the next half hour. My New Best Friend is the twin of the other woman, I shall call them Sybill, the other twin had lived in the neighbourhood longer and knew more people - this was a good opportunity to even things up a little.

We arranged to meet, me with both twins the following week.

That was yesterday. The experience was like a being in a story co-written by Lewis Caroll, Edward Lear and Mervyn Peake

The first thing I had to be made aware of was size, they were identical and both the same size they said, so they could wear each others clothes but they also pointed out that one was taller with a much longer body and exceptionally large hands and feet, we stood and compared all these things. They felt that they were so identical that the large-handed one differentiated herself with a fat bow on her head.


The large-handed twin was by far the bossier - as she questioned me she would stop to wave her enormous hands in the air and cry

My darling we have absolutely NOTHING in common!

Their lives revolve around omens, they each have their special sign to look out for, the small-handed Sybill looks for things with vertical lines and the large-handed Sybill looks for horizontal lines, this system is used for every important decision; for example when they need to know to trust an estate agent - they look at the pattern of his tie. This and numerous other examples were given to show how well the system works.

We are planning to go to the cinema together soon  

We are very critical
yes very critical

we used to work in the cinema industry as extras so we know a lot about it

we've been directed by ... who's that actor who's now a director?
(many names are tried out)
Clint Eastwood
yes him
we are very critical and we don't like much   
and we don't like much food  
no we're very fussy  
we're terrible to eat with  




8 comments:

  1. If I didn't know you I'd think you had made this up. Like Dickens. You are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I now am very much looking forward to the =/║ movie and restaurant reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll see if we actually get there, I think arrangements will be like wrangling a push-me-pull-you

      Delete
    2. Good lord! Now Hugh Lofting has joined the script writers!

      There was/is a pub down in Putney and I met "identical" twins there.Sure, their faces were recognisably similar and they were twins.But one male and one female!

      Delete
    3. Dr Seuss might be turning up any minute Di!

      Delete
  3. Is the drawing an accurate description of their differences? I have a horrible feeling it is!!
    Love the drawing, btw.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawing is pretty much photographic in its likeness xxx

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails