Saturday, March 29

Happy Day





I can’t cut, measure or draw straight and I avoid touching power tools. When I need to solve a problem I do it within the limits of my skills, concentrating on problems that can be solved with wool, paint or cardboard or a nice warm bath.

The view into my kitchen is too public. If I can just work out how to support the honeysuckle outside the window and make it grow more vertical I could burn cabbage in privacy.

I pulled out all my pieces of wood and screws and thought of things that I could make that would support a trellis plus heavy plant. I knew this would take at least all weekend.

My neighbour, alerted by the high pitched noises coming from my head, came over and suggested the sort of simple elegant scheme that only a man with a pneumatic drill would think of. 

And then he got out his pneumatic drill and made the thing 

And I have a whole weekend left to admire it

6 comments:

  1. I like men like that.Can he also cook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he can actually - been trying to get him to move in but seems he's happy with his own wife

      Delete
  2. I could build your illustration up there. Plus a drawer that won't push all the way in. And also an aeroplane.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please come and build my illustration, if you can make it work as a plane we could run away together

      Delete
  3. That's the spirit and teamwork that built the bridge on the River Kwai! Colonel Lulu supervising, obv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My supervising involved me fainting with delight and relief, I'd not be much use bridge-building

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails